Candidates who graduated from a school outside of the United States and Canada may apply and be considered for the "state-only" examinations, pending receipt of the appropriate state authorization. These candidate must furnish a letter from the State Dental Board of a state that accepts the results of this examination indicating they are eligible for licensure in that state upon successful completion of the examination. In addition, a copy of the candidate's diploma with an English translation must be provided.
Online ApplicationThe online application was developed for the candidate's convenience. To apply online, go to http://srta.brighttrac.com/register. This links to a secure website that requires the candidate's contact and school information. Gathering all required items prior to starting the online application will save significant time. Applicants will need:
- A photograph: A recent digital headshot of close proximity to the candidate is required for the online application. Candidates should be clearly distinguishable, as the photo will be printed at 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" on the candidate admission card. Photos must be in one of the following formats: JPG, GIF, or PNG.
- CPR certification: A digital copy of current and valid CPR certification is required. Valid certification is defined as a "hands-on" training program that provides an assessment of cognitive skills and skills acquired via classroom training. A minimum of Basic CPR skills is required. Classes provided by Internet instruction are not acceptable.
A diploma: A copy of the candidate's diploma from a CODA-accredited dental hygiene program must be provided in order for the profile to be valid. This document can be uploaded into the profile, faxed to the office, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who have not formally graduated from their university or dental hygiene program are required to secure certification from their Dean or Program Director stating:
- The candidate is eligible and in the last semester of the graduation requirements.
- The candidate will complete the graduation requirements within ten months of the examination date.
- The candidate has successfully completed local anesthesia requirements, (only if the candidate plans to personally administer local anesthesia). This should include whether the candidate has been trained in infiltration techniques only or in both block and infiltration.
- Payment: SRTA accepts VISA and MasterCard only. No international credit/debit cards will be accepted. Debit cards may be used if allowable by the issuing bank and if they bear the VISA or MasterCard logo. The total payment will include the facility fee (site specific; see Section II-C) as well as the examination fee. All payments are drawn immediately and must be paid in full. Failure to pay the application fee and facility fee at the time of application will forfeit the applicant's ability to sit for the examination. The Veterans Administration has approved the cost of the SRTA Dental Hygiene Examination for reimbursement. Contact the regional Veterans Affairs/Veterans Education Office to obtain the proper forms.
- Validation of the profile: The application profile is complete and accepted by "Validation.” SRTA personnel will validate the profile only after all required profile information has been entered, uploaded, and received. Profiles without a photo or without CPR cards will not be validated. Please allow 2 to 3 days for validation. Only after a candidate's profile has been validated can he/she apply for an examination. With the exception of password changes, all profile changes will automatically mark the candidate temporarily invalid.
- Application for the examination: Once all profile information has been uploaded and validated, candidates may apply for examinations. Simply click on "Apply" at the top of the screen to begin the application process. Detailed instructions will be presented based on the available examinations.
- Download of documents: Candidates must visit the "Documents" portion of the secure site to download and complete all required documents for the examination. Instructions for each document are on the website. Some documents must be completed and returned to the SRTA office prior to the examination.
Manual/Paper ApplicationCandidates submitting a paper application will combine the facility fee with the examination fee and submit one cashier's check or money order along with the paper application and mail to the SRTA office. Please do not staple, tape or glue items to the application. Applications not completed in their entirety will be returned. There is an extra $75.00 processing fee for paper applications.
Mail manual applications to:
Southern Regional Testing Agency, Inc.Paper/manual applications must be received (not postmarked) on or before the published deadline. The Southern Regional Testing Agency cannot be responsible for items lost or delayed by the Postal Service.
4698 Honeygrove Road, Suite 2
Virginia Beach, VA 23455-5934
4698 Honeygrove Road, Suite 2
Virginia Beach, VA 23455-5934
Manual/Paper ApplicationApplication fees are not refundable and may not be applied to a future examination. Failure to appear for a scheduled examination will result in the loss of the candidate's fee unless the Agency has received written notification fifteen days prior to the application deadline - in such cases a 50% refund will be given. Refunds will not be given for a patient's failure to appear, non-acceptability of the case presented, or a candidate's inability to secure patients for the examination.
The Veterans Administration has approved the cost of the Dental Hygiene examination for reimbursement. Contact the regional Veterans Affairs/Veterans Education Office to obtain the proper forms. Each candidate for examination must obtain a Dental Hygiene Format and Candidate Guide. The manual contains a complete description of the examination, all criteria, examination schedule, and instructions. This guide and all required forms may be downloaded upon candidate registration.